[OpenIndiana-discuss] Buildable distro?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 21:19:21 UTC 2013

Let me try to be more clear. I do not have any interest in building a distro.  That's not what I'm asking about.

I would like to be able to fix some bugs in format(1m), fmthard(1m) and fdisk(1m) w/o spending 10x the effort setting up a build environment as I spend fixing the bugs.  The bugs wasted a great deal of my time while building a bootable RAIDZ array.  I know what they are and I'd like to fix them while I still remember most of the twists and turns.  I'd guess it's 4-8 hours work.

I'd guess several days to construct a working environment to build of oi_151a7 from source from scratch. .  I am not likely to spend that much time.  It *might* happen, but I have other things I'm more interested in doing.  So if it does *ever* happen, it won't be any time soon.

I strongly suspect that there are a number of  other people w/ the requisite skills who would help fix userland bugs and perhaps even the occasional device driver if it weren't for the ordeal of setting up a build environment.  It's complex and poorly documented.  And most of what does exist is woefully out of date.

I'm asking if someone who has a working  environment that will build OI_151a7 from source would create an image that people could download.  It doesn't need a pretty install.  I'd be happy to build filesystems using the LiveDVD and then populate them by hand.  But it would need appropriate zones setup and all the required packages.

I'll repost my query to the dev lists.

Have Fun!
Reg