[OpenIndiana-discuss] Buildable distro?

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Thu Feb 7 08:54:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 01:19:21PM -0800, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> Let me try to be more clear. I do not have any interest in building a distro.
> That's not what I'm asking about.
>
> I would like to be able to fix some bugs in format(1m), fmthard(1m) and
> fdisk(1m) w/o spending 10x the effort setting up a build environment as I
> spend fixing the bugs.  The bugs wasted a great deal of my time while
> building a bootable RAIDZ array.  I know what they are and I'd like to fix
> them while I still remember most of the twists and turns.  I'd guess it's 4-8
> hours work.

For that (fixes in format, fmthard, fdisk) you do not need to know how to build
the whole distro (like OI). You most probably need the illumos-gate only and
this should be enough for you:

http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/How+To+Build+illumos

It should be up to date and it should work. At least it worked for me few
months ago.

HTH.