[OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Feb 11 16:44:23 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-10 19:59, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-02-10 16:30, Gary Driggs wrote:
>> On Feb 10, 2013, at 3:36 AM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Would any opensource licenses forbid such sort of redistribution, BTW?
>>

>> I doubt many others are this persnickety but the Mozilla Foundation have
>> strict redistribution terms when using the Firefox name -- just ask the
>> Debian Iceweasel and GNU IceCat teams. Even without modification "any use
>> of a meta-installer would require [their] prior written permission" per
>> their policies; http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html
>
> Interesting... I wonder if OpenIndiana has such permission - either
> explicitly or inherited from Sun OpenSolaris - if they had it? ;)
>
> But thanks for passing this notice around!

Also in the same subject matter - I wonder if the base VirtualBox 4.x
(the GPLed part) software can be redistributed similarly - i.e. the
SVR4 package from Oracle converted into IPS for automatic updates, or
a recompilation of the source codes?..

And if it is not risky to let the OS auto-update something like that?

What about tarballed Java releases?

//Jim