[OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:21:56 UTC 2013

> Also in the same subject matter - I wonder if the base VirtualBox 4.x
> (the GPLed part) software can be redistributed similarly - i.e. the
> SVR4 package from Oracle converted into IPS for automatic updates, or
> a recompilation of the source codes?..

It ought to be clear that if it actually is licensed under GPL then you can
redistribute it. And the VBox licensing FAQ says that redistribution of the
base binaries (but not the extension pack) is fine.

> And if it is not risky to let the OS auto-update something like that?
>
> What about tarballed Java releases?

Java redistribution is, um, messy. My reading of it (and no, I'm not a
lawyer) is that you can't. There's an exception only if bundled with your
java application. So shipping it with the OS isn't possible.

I believe the idea was that distributions would use OpenJDK instead.

On that topic, anyone tried building OpenJDK on an Illumos distro?

--
-Peter Tribble