[OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Feb 12 17:41:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-12 16:21, Peter Tribble wrote:

>> What about tarballed Java releases?
>
> Java redistribution is, um, messy. My reading of it (and no, I'm not a
> lawyer) is that you can't. There's an exception only if bundled with your
> java application. So shipping it with the OS isn't possible.

And what if we ship a java app with the OS - such as Apache Tomcat
or opensourced branch of Glassfish Appserver? Perhaps even finding
use for it to be bolted on, like a webconsole, or just providing
repackaged opensourced projects via IPS - like Alfresco or Magnolia
CMS or whatever? I know, "IANAL", but intriguing it is, yes?... ;)

> I believe the idea was that distributions would use OpenJDK instead.
>
> On that topic, anyone tried building OpenJDK on an Illumos distro?

Hmmm...
I haven't tried that branch at all and have no experience at how stable
or compatible it is. Possibly, other admins and developers might have
similar uninformed reservations. If anyone has - or gains - practice
with OpenJDK vs. Oracle JDK, I think their shared experience would be
most appreciated by the community.