[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF "svcadm restart-or-clear-or-start" action

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Feb 13 01:20:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-12 21:49, Stefan Müller-Wilken wrote:
> This ultimately leads to the question of self understanding with OpenIndiana. Is OI supposed / willing to deviate from the way Oracle is doing things with Solaris? From where on are we going to lose compatibility with the so-called original? A tough question, I know, but then: what sets OI apart from all the other distributions based upon the Solaris kernel if not its adherence to its OpenSolaris roots? Or am I completely off track with that thought?

I think there was a sort of concensus on this: Oracle in general
is not willing to cooperate with the opensourced siblings, not
even as much as say whether they plan to cooperate or ignore.

I was told that for Oracle ex-Sunnites it is in fact prohibited
to monitor the OpenSourced initiatives' progress - so as to be
not "tainted" if new Oracle Solaris features borrowed from illumos
are ever object of an IP lawsuit (who knows where those red-eyed
opensourcers snatched their code?)

Also, OI like Solaris 11 is derived from "OpenSolaris roots", but
it grew under a different Sun and winds into something different.
It may be possible to make the two looking similar in some aspects
(i.e. new administrative commands and flags), but with lack of
coordinated cooperation it is not possible to not part ways in
general.

So just as well it can be said that Oracle's Solaris deviates from
OI and the roots in an incompatible manner and why would they do
that? ;) As for adherence to the roots... well, (unlike some other
distros) the userland and commands are still there in OI, and its
new development mostly adds features, expanding the old foundation.
So programs and scripts for OpenSolaris should generally work on OI.

//Jim