[OpenIndiana-discuss] EFI labled devices on root pools

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Tue Feb 19 14:44:45 UTC 2013

I just reported this bug on the issue tracker, hopefully someone here can
give me advice on how to work around this problem.

When I installed 151a7 on a new system with disks connected directly to an
LSI-9207-8i HBA. The installer correctly located the attached disks, built
the rpool and boots fine:

root at hcp-dr-zfs01:~# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool                      ONLINE       0     0     0
          c4t5001517972EE63FBd0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

When I attempted to add a second disk to mirror the rpool the zpool command
reports: EFI labeled devices are not supported on root pools.

root at hcp-dr-zfs01:~# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c4t5001517972EE63FBd0s2 |
fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c4t5001517972EE64A2d0s2
fmthard: Partition 2 specifies the full disk and is not equal
full size of disk.  The full disk capacity is 156273152 sectors.
fmthard:  New volume table of contents now in place.
root at hcp-dr-zfs01:~# zpool attach -f rpool c4t5001517972EE63FBd0s0
c4t5001517972EE64A2d0
cannot label 'c4t5001517972EE64A2d0': EFI labeled devices are not
supported on root pools.

Seems the installer is supoorting EFI labled disks for rpool but the zpool
command is not.

How do I work around this?

-Chip