[OpenIndiana-discuss] EFI labled devices on root pools

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Feb 19 14:52:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-19 15:44, Schweiss, Chip wrote:
> When I attempted to add a second disk to mirror the rpool the zpool command
> reports: EFI labeled devices are not supported on root pools.
>
> root at hcp-dr-zfs01:~# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c4t5001517972EE63FBd0s2 |
> fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c4t5001517972EE64A2d0s2
> fmthard: Partition 2 specifies the full disk and is not equal
> full size of disk.  The full disk capacity is 156273152 sectors.
> fmthard:  New volume table of contents now in place.
> root at hcp-dr-zfs01:~# zpool attach -f rpool c4t5001517972EE63FBd0s0
> c4t5001517972EE64A2d0
> cannot label 'c4t5001517972EE64A2d0': EFI labeled devices are not
> supported on root pools.
>
> Seems the installer is supoorting EFI labled disks for rpool but the zpool
> command is not.

If you look carefully, you're attaching a "d0" (whole disk with
a ZFS-created EFI partitioning to map it all) to an "s0" (slice
in Solaris SMI label in MBR partition), so you are not really
doing the right thing.

Also, AFAIK, it is a long-standing issue with only SMI/MBR label
being supported for bootable rpools (and it is more a bootloader
problem with GRUB vs. GRUB2 than that of the installer).

> How do I work around this?

Redefine the second disk to MBR partitioning. Label its partition
with Solaris2 SMI. Provide a slice to be attached into the rpool.
Run installgrub to make the second disk bootable. Verify that the
MBR partition for Solaris is marked active, just in case.

HTH,
//Jim