[OpenIndiana-discuss] complaint about dovecot in sfe IPS not starting.

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sun Feb 24 22:09:38 UTC 2013

Dovecot actually does start, you just need to set up a few things first:
A proper conf file tree, and any file or directory referenced by that
file tree, must needs be exist, and be populated appropriately.

To get the dovecot service online w/o complaint (mind you, it still
won't do anything useful) you could

#!/bin/sh/of/yer/choice
pfexec mkdir -p /etc/ssl/certs
pfexec mkdir /etc/ssl/private
cd /usr/share/doc/dovecot/example-config
pfexec cp -p -R conf.d/ dovecot.conf /etc/dovecot/
# doublecheck that the file dovecot.conf and the directory conf.d are
actually there
# in /etc/dovecot at this point
# If they are, do:
echo "type return to continue"
read

pfexec sh mkcert.sh
pfexec svcadm enable dovecot

# running
svcs -x dovecot
# should now show dovecot to be online. Look in the log file indicated
# in the svcs -x report, otherwise

# The next reasonable step is

pfexec svcadm disable dovecot

# and read all the docs and look around the internet for a good HOWTO
for the combination of
# dovecot and postfix (or sendmail or exim or something) and some
mailstore and
# userauthorisation method and configure the whole thing.

# I don't (yet) think openindiana->dovecot is dysfunctional, it's just
very undocumented.