[OpenIndiana-discuss] idmap timeout

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 21:00:41 UTC 2013

> Try modifying your cron job to do a:
>
> "idmap dump -nv"

I'll add that in, see what drops out.

> Writing a static set of name rules using awk should be pretty trivial if one can query Windows and Mac OS for authorized user name lists.  Updating could be triggered by a request that didn't have a mapping yet.  This would then all persist across boots.

I did think of that, but it's things like triggering that, keeping it up to date (ie. when users are removed from AD) and the rest, and I thought it might become quite a big project really and something that may be better written as some kind of alternate idmap option (i.e. instead of just having static and ephemeral, have static, ephemeral and cached - with cached basically being automatically created user mappings).

To be fair if idmap was able to just use static mapping to a range of IDs that would be good enough.

James.