[OpenIndiana-discuss] Vnc to mimic SunRay behaviour, how??

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Wed Feb 27 15:23:04 UTC 2013

I'm pretty comfy with the way SunRays work: you login to a remote server
with a full graphical UI.
When you're due for lunch, you pull your card, and go get yer grub. In
the lounge area, you plug yer card into a sunray on a temp desk, and
just continue in the session you left behind. Performance was OK for
what we used them for 5-8 years ago.

Alas, SunRays are a thing of the past for most of us. Oracle's price tag
is just way too hefty for most people. Also, next SW and HW upgrade  we
want better performance for medium-complexity graphics, so what to do
instead?

Initial tests with GB net and modern fanless media PCs indicate that VNC
might just be good enough for the next 5 years or so. But, as far as I
can see, using Xvnc in OI151a7 leaves you with but two choices,
open-for-all possibly passwordprotected persistent preassigned sessions
or non-persistent but automatically assigned sessions.

Could one fiddle around with options and other things to simulate SunRay
sessions in a better way??

I'd like to avoid having to preconfigure a set of logical displays for
each of my over 200 users...