[OpenIndiana-discuss] home directory in zone file permission

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:13:23 UTC 2013

I was going to do a little testing with dovecot, trying to set it up in its own zone, when I discovered that the /home directory in the zone doesn't have write permission.

root at dovecot.ds2:/usr/dovecot/dovecot-2.1.15# useradd -g vmail -s /bin/false -d /home/vmail -m vmail
UX: useradd: ERROR: Unable to create the home directory: No such file or directory.

root at dovecot.ds2:/usr/dovecot/dovecot-2.1.15# mkdir /home/vmail
mkdir: Failed to make directory "/home/vmail"; Operation not applicable

root at dovecot.ds2:/# ls -al
dr-xr-xr-x   1 root     root           1 Feb 27 22:36 home

root at dovecot.ds2:/# chmod u+w home
chmod: WARNING: can't change home

Is there some reason for this?  You all told me to set up each of my different services in their own zones, so I figured I'd do that with my email server, as well.  This seems a bit problematic if we can't add user directories to hold the mail.  Or am I taking that too far?

SImilarly, I have apache web server set up in a zone.  I was planning on adding users to that zone, too, for them to access via ssh to upload their files.  I figured they'd need to do that through the zone so they could change their web page file permissions (for scripts, etc.) as necessary.  That seems a bit challenging, too, given this new revelation.

Would somebody please tell me where my thinking is skewed?

I'd really appreciate it.

Peter, hieromonk