[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network path not found on Win7

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Thu Feb 28 13:55:05 UTC 2013

I have not been satisfied with the features or reliability of the kernel cifs server.  I've made a habit of disabling it, and installing samba instead.

I forget which is which, but look at the following services:
svc:/network/smb/server:default
svc:/network/samba:default
svc:/system/idmap:default
svc:/network/smb/client:default

Unfortunately, there is no default smb.conf, so I recommend getting one from a linux system (or using swat, which again unfortunately won't run on solaris, so do it on linux).  And also unfortunately, by default, I believe nmbd isn't included in the service, so google around a little bit.  I believe I saw a good how-to on cuddletech.