[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network path not found on Win7

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Feb 28 11:02:59 UTC 2013

Hi,

we are suffering for quite some time now from the notorious 0x8007003
error on Windows 7 desktops in our network when accessing shares on our
OI based file server over SMB. I am using the Solaris CIFS server.
It's an on-and-off issue, and I always had the impression that it had
something to do with DNS resolution, even if it happened that it
occurred even when using the pure IP address. Clearing the connection
usually helped, but it's tedious for my colleagues and they often ask me
for help about it.

I have found one thread over in the Open Solaris list on what appears to
be the problem that ends with this message:

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/cifs-discuss/2011-May/003457.html

To sum up, the problem seems to be with the Windows clients. The issue
that occurs is that the client assumes parallel connections to the same
host over different paths. The solution offered by Oracle is a
workaround that was implemented in Oracle's own branch.
Is that workaround also available in any OI or any other community-based
Solaris distro?

Are there other methods to avoid the issue that anybody knows of?
Currently the file server is not joined to our AD. Would joining
potentially solve the issue?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

BR

Sebastian