[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network path not found on Win7

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:47:24 UTC 2013

Are your Windows clients setup to use a WINS server? If so, turn off WINS.
If not, try disabling IPv6 and SMB2.0.
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htm

Also, if you're using offline files, reinitialize your CSC folder on
clients that are impacted: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738

What is doing your DNS?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Sebastian Gabler <sequoiamobil at gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are suffering for quite some time now from the notorious 0x8007003
> error on Windows 7 desktops in our network when accessing shares on our OI
> based file server over SMB. I am using the Solaris CIFS server.
> It's an on-and-off issue, and I always had the impression that it had
> something to do with DNS resolution, even if it happened that it occurred
> even when using the pure IP address. Clearing the connection usually
> helped, but it's tedious for my colleagues and they often ask me for help
> about it.
>
> I have found one thread over in the Open Solaris list on what appears to
> be the problem that ends with this message:
>
> http://mail.opensolaris.org/**pipermail/cifs-discuss/2011-**
> May/003457.html<http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/cifs-discuss/2011-May/003457.html>
>
> To sum up, the problem seems to be with the Windows clients. The issue
> that occurs is that the client assumes parallel connections to the same
> host over different paths. The solution offered by Oracle is a workaround
> that was implemented in Oracle's own branch.
> Is that workaround also available in any OI or any other community-based
> Solaris distro?
>
> Are there other methods to avoid the issue that anybody knows of?
> Currently the file server is not joined to our AD. Would joining
> potentially solve the issue?
>
> Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
>
> BR
>
> Sebastian

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me