[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mount NTFS USB under OmniOS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jan 2 12:35:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-02 08:26, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Up to date ntfs-3g and FUSE for OpenIndiana are available, with
> directions for installing on :
> http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/openindiana-ntfs-3g.html
>
> The same fuse kernel module has also been made available on
> SFE, but ntfs-3g is still an old one there.

I wonder what should the policy be about near-kernel support of
foreign filesystems - shouldn't these (and FUSE) go to illumos-gate?
For example, the (native) support of pcfs, hsfs and several others
is maintained there...

This way, all illumos-based distros would have comparable feature
sets in terms of this basic FS interoperability support.

Or is the main gate's current policy to only maintain the projects
with no external upstream (*BSD etc.)? Then the FSes might go into
common oi-build/illumos-userland/name-du-jour (BTW, which one - if
any - is the active project for non-kernel common illumos software?)

//Jim