[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mount NTFS USB under OmniOS

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Wed Jan 2 20:16:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

On st, 2013-01-02 at 13:35 +0100, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-01-02 08:26, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> > Up to date ntfs-3g and FUSE for OpenIndiana are available, with
> > directions for installing on :
> > http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/openindiana-ntfs-3g.html
> >
> > The same fuse kernel module has also been made available on
> > SFE, but ntfs-3g is still an old one there.

yes, I am sorry, I spend my spare time on JDS/Gnome for now (nearly
completed task). I will look at it later this month if nobody else.

> I wonder what should the policy be about near-kernel support of
> foreign filesystems - shouldn't these (and FUSE) go to illumos-gate?
> For example, the (native) support of pcfs, hsfs and several others
> is maintained there...
>
> This way, all illumos-based distros would have comparable feature
> sets in terms of this basic FS interoperability support.
>
> Or is the main gate's current policy to only maintain the projects
> with no external upstream (*BSD etc.)? Then the FSes might go into
> common oi-build/illumos-userland/name-du-jour (BTW, which one - if
> any - is the active project for non-kernel common illumos software?)

It would require to have somebody pushing it to Illumos, with at least 2
reviewers. My current experience is not very good in pushing larger
things there, ext2fs did not find any reviewer for a year, WPA
enterprise implementation with WiFi improvements and clean ups are also
waiting.

In case of FUSE I am not even trying because at least one highly
respected RTI advocate was strong opponent of this FUSE implementation
even during his SUN carreer.

Best regards,

Milan