[OpenIndiana-discuss] [OmniOS-discuss] [smartos-discuss] Re: Mount NTFS USB under OmniOS

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 4 18:20:18 UTC 2013

Hi Fabio,

Fabio Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Alain/All,

>   The reason I've decided to send the e-mail is, first of all,
 > to find out is there was a solution to natively support NTFS
 > that I wasn't aware of and second, in case there was nothing
 > there, to make an statement about the issue and that might be
 > solved in the future (hopefully soon, rater than later).
 > I don't believe I would be the only one to benefit from a
 > proper solution, and that (IMHO) would be also great for
 > OmniOS/illumos based distros ;-)

AFAIK, (apart from Microsoft) only Tuxera has an in-kernel
implementation of an NTFS driver. It is a closed-source one,
which has not been adapted to Solaris and friends.
(see http://www.tuxera.com)

>   Now, I've been trying a couple of things in the meantime as well.
 > The package "ntfsprogs" (which is available in the main OmniOS repo)
 > provides some utils and I was able to list the files on my USB
 > device, but the mount option wasn't ported to OmniOS. Here is more
 > info about the pkg:
>
>   #########################
>
>   root at gearloose:~# pkg info -r ntfsprogs
>   Name: system/file-system/ntfsprogs
>   of NTFS
>   Category: System/Administration and Configuration
>   State: Not installed
>   Publisher: omnios
>   Version: 2.0.0
>   Build Release: 5.11
>   Branch: 0.151004
>   Packaging Date: Thu Oct 11 22:43:21 2012
>   Size: 831.75 kB
>   FMRI: pkg://omnios/system/file-system/ntfsprogs@2.0.0,5.11-0.151004:20121011T224321Z

This is a very old package from a dead project. Be prepared
to get into problems with 4k sector devices.

It has been taken over by ntfs-3g and it is now part of
the ntfs-3g releases and it has been ported to OpenIndiana.

The source code and executables for OpenIndiana are available on
http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/openindiana-ntfs-3g.html
(the same source code on Tuxera at
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/#download)

Regards