[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mount NTFS USB under OmniOS

Fabio Rodrigues fabior at gmx.net
Mon Jan 7 00:27:07 UTC 2013

Hi Jean-Pierre,

 So, I've downloaded the following packages (for OpenIndiana):

 - fuse-kernel-1.0AR.7.pkg
 - ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2012.1.15AR.8.pkg64

 Explanining my choice, I just followed the theory that OmniOS and OpenIndiana share the same illumos core. The installation was successfully and I manage to mount my NTFS USB using command line. I've tested both options (just in case), to mount using "ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p1 /mnt/usb" and "mount -F ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p1 /mnt/usb".

 Doing the copies I need and, using rsync (the one available from OmniOS repo), I'm getting about ~7 to 10 MB/s max. Would this be something you're expecting to see as well under OpenIndiana or you think it might be something to do with me using a OpenIndiana package on OmniOS.

 More info about my install:

 ##################################

 root at gearloose:~# cat /etc/release
 OmniOS v11 r151004
 Copyright 2012 OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved.
 Use is subject to license terms.

 root at gearloose:~# pkginfo -l fusefs
 PKGINST: fusefs
 NAME: fusefs
 CATEGORY: filesystem
 ARCH: x86
 VERSION: 1.0AR.7
 BASEDIR: /usr
 DESC: fusefs - the FUSE kernel module
 PSTAMP: openindiana20120824173608
 INSTDATE: Jan 04 2013 19:38
 STATUS: completely installed
 FILES: 6 installed pathnames
 3 directories
 2 executables
 170 blocks used (approx)

 root at gearloose:~# pkginfo -l ntfs-3g
 PKGINST: ntfs-3g
 NAME: ntfs-3g
 CATEGORY: filesystem
 ARCH: x86_64
 VERSION: 2012.1.15AR.8
 BASEDIR: /
 DESC: ntfs-3g - Third Generation Read/Write NTFS Driver
 PSTAMP: openindiana20121013141801
 INSTDATE: Jan 04 2013 19:38
 STATUS: completely installed
 FILES: 53 installed pathnames
 17 directories
 14 executables
 1894 blocks used (approx)
 Anyway, besides having that feeling it's a bit slow, so far so good. I was wondering about the possibility of those two packages being available and maintain in the OmniOS repo (this would be more a question to OmniIT maybe?!).

 Thank you very much for your help!!!

 Cheers,
 Fabio