[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mount NTFS USB under OmniOS

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 7 08:05:25 UTC 2013

Fabio Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
>   So, I've downloaded the following packages (for OpenIndiana):
>
>   - fuse-kernel-1.0AR.7.pkg
>   - ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2012.1.15AR.8.pkg64
>
>   Explanining my choice, I just followed the theory that OmniOS and OpenIndiana share the same illumos core. The installation was successfully and I manage to mount my NTFS USB using command line. I've tested both options (just in case), to mount using "ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p1 /mnt/usb" and "mount -F ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p1 /mnt/usb".

When reading the only difference between ro and rw
is the updating of access times (not done in ro).

In some situations the low level driver ("mount -F lowntfs")
may be faster.

>   Doing the copies I need and, using rsync (the one available from OmniOS repo), I'm getting about ~7 to 10 MB/s max. Would this be something you're expecting to see as well under OpenIndiana or you think it might be something to do with me using a OpenIndiana package on OmniOS.

This is a good throughput to an USB key.
On a spinning disk, I get about 20MB/s on Linux, but
I have not much experience on OpenIndiana (and none with
OmniOS).
The bottleneck is generally the fuse communication
between the kernel and file system driver in user space.

>   More info about my install:
>
>   ##################################
>
>   root at gearloose:~# cat /etc/release
>   OmniOS v11 r151004
>   Copyright 2012 OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved.
>   Use is subject to license terms.
>
>   root at gearloose:~# pkginfo -l fusefs
>   PKGINST: fusefs
>   NAME: fusefs
>   CATEGORY: filesystem
>   ARCH: x86
>   VERSION: 1.0AR.7
>   BASEDIR: /usr
>   DESC: fusefs - the FUSE kernel module
>   PSTAMP: openindiana20120824173608
>   INSTDATE: Jan 04 2013 19:38
>   STATUS: completely installed
>   FILES: 6 installed pathnames
>   3 directories
>   2 executables
>   170 blocks used (approx)
>
>   root at gearloose:~# pkginfo -l ntfs-3g
>   PKGINST: ntfs-3g
>   NAME: ntfs-3g
>   CATEGORY: filesystem
>   ARCH: x86_64
>   VERSION: 2012.1.15AR.8
>   BASEDIR: /
>   DESC: ntfs-3g - Third Generation Read/Write NTFS Driver
>   PSTAMP: openindiana20121013141801
>   INSTDATE: Jan 04 2013 19:38
>   STATUS: completely installed
>   FILES: 53 installed pathnames
>   17 directories
>   14 executables
>   1894 blocks used (approx)
>   ##################################
>   Anyway, besides having that feeling it's a bit slow, so far so good. I was wondering about the possibility of those two packages being available and maintain in the OmniOS repo (this would be more a question to OmniIT maybe?!).

As a developer, I only maintain the sources, and just make
available the executables which I am using myself.
It is up to the distributors to do the packaging with their
own tools. I can accept merging into the common source code
some ifdef'ed code specific to a distribution.

ntfs-3g (including ntfsprogs and the fuse library) is maintained
on sourceforge : http://ntfs-3g.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb-index.cgi
and the fuse kernel module for OpenIndiana is maintained on
github : https://github.com/jurikm/illumos-fusefs/commits/master/

Regards

Jean-Pierre