[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 04:04:35 UTC 2013

FYI I had to force a hard reboot via power switch today (i.e. no shutdown or sync :-(  The system hangs and will not take any input via the X server keyboard & mouse.  In this case it would not even do a clean reboot via the power switch monitor daemon.  Only option was force it down.

I'm running OI 151.  I think a5, but that's from memory rather than from something reliable like uname(1).  From what I know at present this is an interrupt conflict between the keyboard/mouse drivers and the Nvidia graphics driver.

This is apparently an outstanding bug and as far as I can see not easily fixed.  I did not have this problem w/ 148 and I would revert to that except I can't remember the root password :-(

This may not be related to your problem, but the system hanging really isn't a crash.  It's actually much worse.

I still have scars from a MicroVAX that hung about every 60 days for 18 months. Because it never actually crashed it was very hard to get any help despite top grade support.  Eventually we discovered it was a bad thermal sensor shutting down one side of the split 15 V supply.  But that was only because it did it one day when DEC support was there and we had the skins off the machine and could see the LED status on the power supply.

After over a year of this I had them living there trying to fix it.  We'd replaced almost everything in the machine except the backplane and cabinet.  We'd already replaced the PS, so when the fault showed on the LED we knew it wasn't the PS which left the thermal sensor in the top of the box.  I never understood why that only shut down one side of the supply, but it did a great job of locking up the CPU.

If you don't get a crash dump, it is *really* hard to resolve the cause and fix it.  There's nothing to get a hold of.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Reg