[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Jan 16 15:01:47 UTC 2013

> From: David Scharbach [mailto:david.scharbach at mac.com]
>
> I have an OI installation that seems to crash about every 20 days.  Locks up
> completely and needs a hard reset.  Not very much fun.

Whenever I've seen this type of behavior before, it was hardware/driver related, but we never were able to narrow it down to *which* piece of hardware or driver, by any method other than blindly swapping out hardware.

I'm not talking, necessarily, about failing hardware.  Just some sort of incompatibility bug.  On one system, we greatly reduced the incidence of crashes by disabling the on-board broadcom NIC, and buying the intel server PCIE NIC instead.

Likely candidates are the storage controller, and network adapter.  And everything else in the system.