[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Wed Jan 16 16:25:35 UTC 2013

I have had this issue and it turned out to be a power supply with too
little power for the 6 hard drives stuffed into my ultra 20. Removed 2
drives and everything was fine.  The drives were perfectly fine.  The
other time I have run into this is when I would lose a required nfs
mount (like a home drive).

Good luck.

The time I had a reset every 14 days turned out to be a problem with the
server rooms ups sending me a 'shutdown' message every two weeks.
Switched ups and that disappeared.

On 01/16/13 10:01 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: David Scharbach [mailto:david.scharbach at mac.com]
>>
>> I have an OI installation that seems to crash about every 20 days.  Locks up
>> completely and needs a hard reset.  Not very much fun.
> Whenever I've seen this type of behavior before, it was hardware/driver related, but we never were able to narrow it down to *which* piece of hardware or driver, by any method other than blindly swapping out hardware.
>
> I'm not talking, necessarily, about failing hardware.  Just some sort of incompatibility bug.  On one system, we greatly reduced the incidence of crashes by disabling the on-board broadcom NIC, and buying the intel server PCIE NIC instead.
>
> Likely candidates are the storage controller, and network adapter.  And everything else in the system.

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson