[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 06:00:50 UTC 2013

Well, I don't think it's stressing the hardware all that much, when you consider our oldest server is 11 1/2 years old, with all its original hardware.  Our newest server is somewhere around 7 years old, without a hardware failure for at least five years.

I admit I'm not much of a system admin.  I've been forced into that role because there's nobody else here to do it. Our hosting provider situation is a similarly less than ideal situation, which we're working on.  Bosses kind of tend to get in the way of some of these things, too...

I have no idea about SPARC, or any of the real big server environments.  I can't even fathom working in an environment with thousands of servers, or why they would even need that many.

And if you have the time and expertise to work through and find the problem so it can be resolved, that's obviously better.  But this archaic way of "dealing" with the problem actually works -- if a person can do it.  Like I said, it may not be practical for everyone's situation, though.  It's certainly not for big, professional admins.  For smaller environments, I believe it can be a reasonable option, though.

It's not being superstitious, or a victim.  It's simply trying take the easy way out, and if it takes care of the problem, then you don't have to deal with it any more.  Or at least not right now.  If it doesn't, well, then, you have to fight your way through it.

I think setting up periodic reboots is better as a preventive maintenance measure, than as a way of addressing a known issue.  But if nothing else, it might just buy you some time until you can work on it more at your convenience.

Oh, and I didn't make this reboot procedure up.  From what I understand, it used to be fairly common practice.  I figured some of the professionals would take exception to it.  But sometimes, older things can still be better than new.

Unless, of course, you like fighting and beating your head against the wall trying to figure out why your system hangs, or whatever, instead of having a stable network and spending your time on less pressing and / or more mundane things...

[]:-)

Cheers.

fp