[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 14:19:17 UTC 2013

One time when I happened to look, I saw that the Ultra 60 I used at work had been up for over 18 months.

If a sys admin told me he wanted to reboot a system once a week, "just in case" he'd be looking for a new job very soon or else sent back to the PC support pool.

BTW The reason that 11/780 era admins did not want to shut machines down was primarily the problems posed by hundreds, if not thousands of mechanical connectors some of which if allowed to cool would lose contact.  The cure was simple, but tedious, you went around reseating circuit boards and cabling and powered up again. There are a lot of boards and cables in a well populated 11/780 especially if its got an FPS-120B, Gould-DeAnza graphics processor and a Versatec plotter attached along w/ the usual disk and tape drives.

One summer weekend in Dallas, my group moved across town.  So our workstations spent the day in a moving van probably at 130+ F.  Monday morning several would not boot until I went around and reseated the disk drive cables.

Voodoo has no place in computing.

Have Fun!
Reg