[OpenIndiana-discuss] Can I start OI from USB drive

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 22:41:31 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 11:30 PM, Brogyányi József wrote:
> Hi
> I'd like to start my system from USB port.I think about USB stick or USB
> HDD. What do you think of my idea?
> Can I install OI on USB HDD or USB stick?

Yep, you can. In fact, for Joyent's SmartOS (another Illumos distro),
this is the only way to install it at all (but their OS is very narrowly
focused on virtualization, by contrast OI is a general purpose OS).

> By the way nobody uses system monitoring software? Just like Munin.

Of course we do :D I use zabbix and nagios for monitoring transient load
parameters on our production machines and e-mail alerts from the fault
manager to immediately ping me in case something went down for whatever
reason (hardware or software service fault).

Cheers,
--
Saso