[OpenIndiana-discuss] Can I start OI from USB drive

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 22:55:15 UTC 2013

I know you can boot from USB HDD if your BIOS supports it, not so sure about flash though. As I recall that's a little more complex.  USB HDD just looks like a disk. You do have to always plug into the same USB port.

The USB HDD is what I recommend to people who are stuck w/ a company issue laptop and want to run Linux or other *nix OS.  Much easier than dual boot and the company laptop configuration is not disturbed which keeps the support guys happy.  Also means it still works if you have to give it to them to fix something.

Have Fun!
Reg