[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 1.57 on VMWare randomness

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 19:47:57 UTC 2013

On 01/26/2013 08:15 PM, Roel_D wrote:
> I installed OI yesterday on VMWare server. After that i did some alterings and installed postgres and so. It all worked fine untill i ran out of memory so i did "Shutdown -y ". Bit this lead to single usermode so i did a init 5 from the console. This didn't work so i halted the machine by vmware
>
> After giving oi more memory i restarted it and then strange problems arose:
> Nsswitch.conf was without dns, nslookup.conf was empty, postgres lost every setting but the database was still there.
> I put everything into place and did a restart to test it. I did 'init 6' and ... Again everything was scrambled. No dns settings, no postgres ( i even had to reinstall the postgres service) and a lot was lost.
>
> Any ideas how this can happen?

No ideas yet, but why do you power off your machine with such init-foo
magic? Why not simply "poweroff" or "reboot"? Since Solaris Nevada
sysv-style usage of "init" has been made obsolete. They also do not
allow you to use the advanced reboot capabilities available since Nevada
("reboot -e" and "reboot -f").

Cheers,
--
Saso