[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 1.57 on VMWare randomness

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 22:50:15 UTC 2013

On 26 January 2013 19:15, Roel_D <openindiana at out-side.nl> wrote:
> After giving oi more memory i restarted it and then strange problems arose:
> Nsswitch.conf was without dns, nslookup.conf was empty, postgres lost every setting but the database was still there.
> I put everything into place and did a restart to test it. I did 'init 6' and ... Again everything was scrambled. No dns settings, no postgres ( i even had to reinstall the postgres service) and a lot was lost.
>
> Any ideas how this can happen?

did you do an image-update, or something that creates a different BE?
if that has happened and you modify configuration files in /etc they
will be altered in the currently booted BE, not in the one that will
be booted after a shutdown.

"beadm list" should enable you to see the "boot environments" you have
on your system and with beadm you should be able to mount those
environments to check if the config files are set in those instances.

It confused me a few times ...

Jon