[OpenIndiana-discuss] Booting from a drive detached from a ZFS mirrored root pool

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 00:04:18 UTC 2013

Because I can't boot from 3 TB drives, I'm trying to sort out plan B for configuring my N40L.

If I stick the 250 GB disk that came w/ the system in the ODD slot and use that for the root pool w/ a 4x3 TB RAIDZ, what happens if my root pool disk fails?  ZFS keeps  a lot of state information in places I don't know about.

My current plan B would be to use the eSATA port to mirror to an external SATA drive and then detach it.  Is it reasonable to expect that I could install the detached mirror drive in the system and boot from it or is there something on the disk that says "you can't do that"?

I don't need maximal uptime.  What I need is easy recovery from failure w/o losing data from the RAIDZ pool.

Have Fun!
Reg