[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 10:58:59 UTC 2013

> As I understand it the strategy was always to encourage the proliferation of solution providers and integrators to fulfill this function.These It was thought would form in the market where a stable release,sufficient development had taken place to provide significant market penetration and adoption.If this time has come perhaps it maybe helpful to welcome the listing of interested parties on the website?

Which is fine to some extent, but what that has led to are a lot of quite specific solutions for situations not everyone is in (SmartOS is obviously heavily cloud-oriented) or companies very focussed on selling (not necessarily cheap) support.  I'd quite like to see OpenIndiana thrive as a community supported general purpose OS based on Illumos.

James