[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 11:03:03 UTC 2013

> Which is fine to some extent, but what that has led to are a lot of quite specific solutions for situations not everyone is in (SmartOS is obviously heavily cloud-oriented) or companies very focussed on selling (not necessarily cheap) support.  I'd quite like to see OpenIndiana thrive as a community supported general purpose OS based on Illumos.
>
> James

Just as an addendum, we're happy to pay for support/development (and we're deploying Nexenta somewhere at the moment), but it's not the solution for a lot of our clients (either smaller businesses or large cheap storage for bigger companies) and yet we don't have the staff who can really contribute directly with code, or the connections/capital to find and hire a bunch of developers to create our own distro.

James