[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installation on HD => 2TB

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jan 31 14:05:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-31 14:12, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Mirko Fluher [mailto:mir at pax.apana.org.au]
>>
>> it simply wouldn't install ... it cannot see the partition .. yet on
>> that HD I run linux Ubuntu & Centos and have plenty of spare room.
>
> Are you trying to dual/triple boot the system?  I would assume such a thing is possible, but probably very tricky, and probably very risky for trashing the other systems.  Hopefully you can avoid doing that.
>
> Why not run OI as a host os, and then run the centos/ubuntu as guest OSes?  (For example, VirtualBox)

This is possible (to multi-boot) - I have done that with few hiccups
on a laptop with OI, Fedora, and for a while Win7 - all involving
their own bootloaders.

However, as for reasoning - I'd state poor hardware driver support
in OI (i.e. the said laptop could not natively use USB3, WiFi, and
powersave-sleeping; glitchy sound - both mic and play; multimedia
playback)...

At times when these were needed, there was little choice but to boot
into another OS and use VirtualBox to boot OI as needed from the raw
partition as a VM. And even that was unwieldy, with OI's pickiness
about rpool storage device changes.

//Jim