[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI_151a7 install grumble

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 16:55:00 UTC 2013

I tried to use the LiveCD installer to install on a 2 TB Seagate ST2000DM001 in an N40L.  This is intended to be a headless server, but I'd like to have multiple terminal windows when I configure or need to do other work on the system.

I'd run format(1m) and put an SMI label on the drive w/ s0 & S1 defined as I want them:

s0 128 GB for rpool
S1 1.69 TB for RAIDZ pool

The installer rather unhelpfully refused to allow me to select s0 and insisted on clobbering the label.

So I switched to the text installer disk.  That let me do what I wanted, but doesn't provide an Xserver and other things I'd like to have there

I'm not trying to do anything complex, so it boggles my mind that the GUI installer doesn't see the label and at least offer to let me use it.  I can understand why the text installer doesn't include X.

So far as I can tell, my choices are either a full manual install along the lines of Jim Klimov's instructions or doing a GUI install to another disk and then migrating everything to where I want it.

Both options seem rather ridiculously cumbersome for what I want to do.  Is there something simpler that I've missed?

Thanks,
Reg