[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Jul 1 19:37:48 UTC 2013

On 07/01/13 14:57, Lucas Van Tol wrote:
> This sounds oddly similar to a 'once upon a time' story I have; where someone here was using 'ifconfig' on an opensolaris test box; and used the 'gateway' (or is it 'gw'?) option to try and configure the routing in the same command.
> This caused the opensolaris testbox to try and BE the gateway (not just route through it), took everything else in the room off the network, and earned a phonecall from the people managing the network.
>
> I don't even know how to 'actually' resolve it; it was a test box so it got unplugged, re-installed, and had it's network configured correctly the next time around.

There's no gateway or gw option on ifconfig, but there is a destination
address for point-to-point networks, and it'd probably be bad to use
that on a broadcast-type network.  (And, really, should be outlawed by
the kernel, but last I checked is not.)

Fixing it should be no more complex than an "ifconfig xxx unplumb" on
the affected interface and then plumbing and assigning the correct
address and mask.  Reinstalling is for Mickeysoft.  :-/