[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Jul 1 19:44:02 UTC 2013

On 07/01/13 14:31, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> On the OI server, if I try to ping someone -- whether it be the router, or an outside IP Address, I get the following:
>
> myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~# ping -Rvs 70.58.190.52
> PING 70.58.190.52: 56 data bytes
> ICMP Host redirect from gateway dsicons.net (192.168.0.3)
>  to dsrouter.ds (192.168.0.1) for 70.58.190.52

It sounds like routing is misconfigured on this system.  Redirects are
generally to be avoided, and seeing them is a sign that things are
probably misconfigured.

What does "netstat -nr" say?  I'll bet that it has a default route
pointing to 192.168.0.3 and should have one pointed to 192.168.0.1.

The other interesting thing from your post is this:

> bnx0:
flags=1100943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST,ROUTER,IPv4> mtu
1500 index 4

The "ROUTER" flag in there means that the box is configured to do IP
forwarding.  Perhaps that's not what you want.  "ifconfig bnx0 -router"
to shut that off might be a place to start ... though having forwarding
configured should be harmless as long as the rest of the system is
properly configured.

> ICMP Port Unreachable from gateway theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1)
>  for udp from theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) to theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) port 53

I suspect that's just a symptom of the problem.  Using ping with "-n" to
avoid DNS when testing problems in the underlying layers will help.

> I tried connecting the second nic in the server to the modem, and setting the nic to use DCHP.  The modem assigned it one of the IP Addresses that should be reserved for the static IP's.

If your DHCP server is handing out addresses that are already in use,
then the DHCP server is broken.  You may need a new one of those.  ;-}