[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 20:36:24 UTC 2013

Well, it looks like we're making some progress.  Remember how I said the modem is assigning our static IP Addresses via DHCP? I had another device plugged into the modem, and it had assigned the same WAN IP to it that I had assigned to the router.  They had different LAN IP Addresses, but the same WAN IP Address.

I removed that device, and rebooted everything.  Now everything with the Linux machine works even when the OI box is on.

Strange behaviour:

I can see the OI box from the world, and get web pages from it via HTTP and HTTPS from the apache server in one of the zones. But I still cannot see the internet from the OI box.  Same message as before.

> What does "netstat -nr" say?  I'll bet that it has a default route
> pointing to 192.168.0.3 and should have one pointed to 192.168.0.1.

myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~# netstat -nr

Routing Table: IPv4
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref     Use     Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------
default              192.168.0.1          UG        2          7 bnx0
127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1            UH        2        268 lo0
192.168.0.0          192.168.0.4          U         3          3 bnx0

Routing Table: IPv6
  Destination/Mask            Gateway                   Flags Ref   Use    If
--------------------------- --------------------------- ----- --- ------- -----
::1                         ::1                         UH      2     126 lo0
fe80::/10                   fe80::218:8bff:fe51:c5b9    U       2       0 bnx0
myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~#

---
It looks like my gateway isn't right for the 192.168.0.  (right?)  But how do I fix it?
---

>> On the OI server, if I try to ping someone -- whether it be the router, or an outside IP Address, I get the following:
>>
>> myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~# ping -Rvs 70.58.190.52
>> PING 70.58.190.52: 56 data bytes
>> ICMP Host redirect from gateway dsicons.net (192.168.0.3)
>> to dsrouter.ds (192.168.0.1) for 70.58.190.52
>
> It sounds like routing is misconfigured on this system.  Redirects are
> generally to be avoided, and seeing them is a sign that things are
> probably misconfigured.

I need redirects; but it could be messed up now.

The machine itself is 192.168.0.4 (it was originally intended to be .2, but I changed it during this mess because I suspected something else might be using .2).

I have a "router zone" with IP Address of 192.168.0.3 .  It has one vnic linked to bnx0 for the 192.168.0. network, and a second vnic linked to an etherstub for 192.168.3. network.  (Boy, I hope I'm remembering this correctly!)

The zones for apache, mysql, etc. all are on the 192.168.3 network, going through the "routert3" zone.

Something like this:

                                  bnx0

                           routert3.vnic0

                           routert3.vnic3

                              etherstub3

              --------------------------------------
              |                      |                       |
       webphp4          mysql                zone3

I'm using ipfilter in the routert3 zone to do IP Port Forwarding to the various services in the zones.  Hence, the ipv4-redirects and ipv4-forwarding.

But all this was working on our network in our main location.  Now that I've moved it to the remote location, things aren't going so great.

> Fixing it should be no more complex than an "ifconfig xxx unplumb" on
> the affected interface and then plumbing and assigning the correct
> address and mask.  Reinstalling is for Mickeysoft.  :-/

If I do an ifconfig bnx0 unplumb, (I'm guessing that's what you are suggesting), how do I "replumb" it?

I want it to have 192.168.0.4, and the gateway and the dns to point to 192.168.0.1 (the router).

I'd really appreciate a little more help!

fp