[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Jul 1 21:25:25 UTC 2013

On 07/01/13 16:36, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> Routing Table: IPv4
>   Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref     Use     Interface
> -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------
> default              192.168.0.1          UG        2          7 bnx0
> 127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1            UH        2        268 lo0
> 192.168.0.0          192.168.0.4          U         3          3 bnx0
>
> Routing Table: IPv6
>   Destination/Mask            Gateway                   Flags Ref   Use    If
> --------------------------- --------------------------- ----- --- ------- -----
> ::1                         ::1                         UH      2     126 lo0
> fe80::/10                   fe80::218:8bff:fe51:c5b9    U       2       0 bnx0
> myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~#
>

> ---
> It looks like my gateway isn't right for the 192.168.0.  (right?)  But how do I fix it?

Really?  I don't see how you've come to that conclusion.  192.168.0.1
looks like a fairly good next hop address.

>> It sounds like routing is misconfigured on this system.  Redirects are
>> generally to be avoided, and seeing them is a sign that things are
>> probably misconfigured.
>

> I need redirects; but it could be messed up now.

If you need redirects, you probably also need to rethink the network
configuration.  Redirects are a bad thing, plain and simple.

> I'm using ipfilter in the routert3 zone to do IP Port Forwarding to the various services in the zones.  Hence, the ipv4-redirects and ipv4-forwarding.

Port forwarding and filtering have nothing whatsoever to do with
redirects, as far as I know.

>> Fixing it should be no more complex than an "ifconfig xxx unplumb" on
>> the affected interface and then plumbing and assigning the correct
>> address and mask.  Reinstalling is for Mickeysoft.  :-/
>
> If I do an ifconfig bnx0 unplumb, (I'm guessing that's what you are suggesting), how do I "replumb" it?

"ifconfig bnx0 plumb"

I don't think you should do that, of course.  I was responding to the
other poster who suggested that reinstalling the system was potentially
a "fix" for having misconfigured an Ethernet interface.

> I want it to have 192.168.0.4, and the gateway and the dns to point to 192.168.0.1 (the router).

It looks to me like you've actually go everything right, except for the
expectation of redirects.

What is in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf?  Is it possible that
you're just having a problem with DNS?