[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 21:49:51 UTC 2013

On Jul 1, 2013, at 3:25 PM, James Carlson wrote:

> On 07/01/13 16:36, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
>> Routing Table: IPv4
>>  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref     Use     Interface
>> -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------
>> default              192.168.0.1          UG        2          7 bnx0
>> 127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1            UH        2        268 lo0
>> 192.168.0.0          192.168.0.4          U         3          3 bnx0
>>
>> Routing Table: IPv6
>>  Destination/Mask            Gateway                   Flags Ref   Use    If
>> --------------------------- --------------------------- ----- --- ------- -----
>> ::1                         ::1                         UH      2     126 lo0
>> fe80::/10                   fe80::218:8bff:fe51:c5b9    U       2       0 bnx0
>> myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~#
>>

>> ---
>> It looks like my gateway isn't right for the 192.168.0.  (right?)  But how do I fix it?
>
> Really?  I don't see how you've come to that conclusion.  192.168.0.1
> looks like a fairly good next hop address.

I thought it was wrong because the gateway was the same as my nic address.

>>> It sounds like routing is misconfigured on this system.  Redirects are
>>> generally to be avoided, and seeing them is a sign that things are
>>> probably misconfigured.
>>

>> I need redirects; but it could be messed up now.
> If you need redirects, you probably also need to rethink the network
> configuration.  Redirects are a bad thing, plain and simple.
>
>> I'm using ipfilter in the routert3 zone to do IP Port Forwarding to the various services in the zones.  Hence, the ipv4-redirects and ipv4-forwarding.
>
> Port forwarding and filtering have nothing whatsoever to do with
> redirects, as far as I know.
>
>>> Fixing it should be no more complex than an "ifconfig xxx unplumb" on
>>> the affected interface and then plumbing and assigning the correct
>>> address and mask.  Reinstalling is for Mickeysoft.  :-/
>>
>> If I do an ifconfig bnx0 unplumb, (I'm guessing that's what you are suggesting), how do I "replumb" it?
>
> "ifconfig bnx0 plumb"
>
> I don't think you should do that, of course.  I was responding to the
> other poster who suggested that reinstalling the system was potentially
> a "fix" for having misconfigured an Ethernet interface.
>
>> I want it to have 192.168.0.4, and the gateway and the dns to point to 192.168.0.1 (the router).
>
> It looks to me like you've actually go everything right, except for the
> expectation of redirects.
>
> What is in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf?  Is it possible that
> you're just having a problem with DNS?

There have been times that I have thought that this was a DNS issue, but I don't see how this can be just that, as I cannot ping a known, workable host on the internet.

I cannot even ping the router at 192.168.0.1

The /etc/nsswitch.conf is the stock OI configuration.  I have not changed anything in it.

/etc/resolv.conf was empty.  I put "nameserver 192.168.0.1" in it, did a "svcadm restart network", but it did not seem to change anything with the netstat command.