[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 21:18:57 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Timothy Coalson wrote:

> When I set up a static IP and manual DNS server, I just used the GUI, it is
> under the "locations" button on the network preferences dialog that appears
> when you click the network icon in the notification area (or go to
> system->administration->network).

This is what I have used to set it up all this time.

But I have something even WEIRDER.

I have to use static IP addresses because this if for a apache and tomcat web server and a mail server.  So I did the following:

svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default

I created an /etc/hostname.bnx0 file with the following:

69.146.183.59

I put the following in my /etc/resolv.conf file:

nameserver 69.144.49.30
nameserver 69.146.17.2

I created an /etc/defaultrouter file with the following:

69.146.183.57

That is the "gateway" the ISP gave me.  I'm not sure that is correct.  ???

I then rebooted the system.

DNS still does not work.  BUT CHECK OUT WHAT IS NOW IN THE /etc/resolv.conf !!!

I used to have a wireless router with that info plugged into the modem.  This machine has NEVER seen that wireless router.  And I unplugged everything from the modem and rebooted it before I ever plugged this server into it.

So, I'm still stuck with /etc/resolv.conf getting overwritten, even with nwam disabled!

I just put the correct nameserver info in it again, chowned it to root:netadm and am rebooting now, to see what happens...

myadmin at tryphon.ds:~$ su
Password:
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# dig www.dormitionskete.net

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R7-P3 <<>> www.dormitionskete.net
;; global options: +cmd
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bnx0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
	inet 69.146.183.59 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 69.146.183.255
	ether 0:1c:23:cc:31:f5
lo0: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu 8252 index 1
	inet6 ::1/128
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# gedit &
[1] 873
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# rm /etc/defaultrouter
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain  ds
search ds
nameserver  192.168.0.151
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# svcs network/physical:nwam
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled       14:58:32 svc:/network/physical:nwam
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# svcs network/physical:default
STATE          STIME    FMRI
online         14:58:37 svc:/network/physical:default
myadmin at tryphon.ds:~#