[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Jul 2 21:41:39 UTC 2013

On 02/07/2013 23:18, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
> svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default

That's always a good thing.

> I created an /etc/hostname.bnx0 file with the following:
>
> 69.146.183.59

This should contain your hostname, not the IP !

Be sure to put this 'IP hostname' in /etc/hosts !

> myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# rm /etc/defaultrouter

No, don't remove this ! You had it right.

>> So, I'm still stuck with /etc/resolv.conf getting
 >> overwritten, even with nwam disabled!

This should not happen with nwam and dhcp disabled, you
may mixed up something here. Reboot to be sure that all
the automatic stuff is really gone.

 >>> But I still really need help getting DNS working!!!

You MUST use the correct /etc/nsswitch.conf for dns ,
otherwise it WILL fail.

 > myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
 > domain  ds
 > search ds
 > nameserver  192.168.0.151

This looks like its correct.

Reboot when changing network stuff, to be sure, since
with a previously broken setup, weird things can happen,
I've seen this too often...

Be also absolutely sure that there is no duplicate
IP in your network.