[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 21:56:47 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:

> On 02/07/2013 23:18, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
>> svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
>> svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default
>
> That's always a good thing.
>

>> I created an /etc/hostname.bnx0 file with the following:
>>
>> 69.146.183.59
>>

> This should contain your hostname, not the IP !

Yes, this is my IP Address.  One of my block of five.

> Be sure to put this 'IP hostname' in /etc/hosts !

Good point !  I forgot that !

Thank you.

>> myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# rm /etc/defaultrouter
>
> No, don't remove this ! You had it right.

I was guessing...  Thanks for the confirmation.

It made sense to me...

>>> So, I'm still stuck with /etc/resolv.conf getting
> >> overwritten, even with nwam disabled!
>
> This should not happen with nwam and dhcp disabled, you
> may mixed up something here. Reboot to be sure that all
> the automatic stuff is really gone.

Is there a separate DHCP service?

svcs -a | grep dhcp

did not turn up anything.

> You MUST use the correct /etc/nsswitch.conf for dns ,
> otherwise it WILL fail.
>
> > myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > domain  ds
> > search ds
> > nameserver  192.168.0.151
>
> This looks like its correct.

Good.

> Reboot when changing network stuff, to be sure, since
> with a previously broken setup, weird things can happen,
> I've seen this too often...
>
> Be also absolutely sure that there is no duplicate
> IP in your network.

What isn't "svcadm restart network" or enabling and disabling "network" sufficient, as it is in Linux?  What doesn't get reset?

Just curious.