[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Jul 2 22:10:24 UTC 2013

On 02/07/2013 23:56, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>
>> On 02/07/2013 23:18, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
>>> svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
>>> svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default
>>
>> That's always a good thing.
>>

>>> I created an /etc/hostname.bnx0 file with the following:
>>>
>>> 69.146.183.59
>>>

>> This should contain your hostname, not the IP !
>
> Yes, this is my IP Address.  One of my block of five.

But you probably have a hostname, so put that in
there and let it resolve to the IP via /etc/hosts,
that's much more flexible.

>> Be sure to put this 'IP hostname' in /etc/hosts !
>
> Good point !  I forgot that !

You may put in short and full hostname  here,
this will prevent some future problems (with ssh, for instance):

::1           localhost
127.0.0.1     localhost  loghost
69.146.183.59 tryphon tryphon.ds

> Is there a separate DHCP service?
>
> svcs -a | grep dhcp
>
> did not turn up anything.

Hm, on a7 there should have appeared a dhcp-server, which
should be off. There's also the ipv4-forwarding service,
which should be off for the first shot, not sure if you
need that with zones and IP-NAT.

> What isn't "svcadm restart network" or
> enabling and disabling "network" sufficient, as it is in Linux?
 > What doesn't get reset?

Nothing else than the milestone:network gets reset, which may
does not help you at all. You usually should restart
network/physical and give it half a minute to recover, or
reboot to be sure.