[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 02:07:31 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 03, 2013 07:45 AM, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
>> I have to call it a day. I appreciate all the help, everyone! I appreciate it very much! Thank you. Peter,
>
> You are almost there Peter. There are now two things you can choose from. 1) Use a dns caching resolver (like Google's 8.8.8.8 if you don't mind giving more info) or 2) setup your own dns caching resolver. Whichever you choose, stick that ip in resolv.conf.
>
> Finally, please make sure the nsswitch.conf has an entry for dns on the hosts line.

I'll try both of these tomorrow.  And I plan to do a careful look at the configurations of the server that works vs. the server that isn't quite working as I'd like.  I don't want to just give up on this box just yet.  I have far too much work invested in it, and I have very valid reasons for wanting to use zones.

And no offense taken for your curt reply.  Indeed, I don't know much about networking.  I wish I could find a decent book about it.  I looked on Amazon.com once, and didn't find anything I thought would be worthwhile.  I need to look again.  I don't understand some of the most basic elements of it, and it's caused me so much grief through the years it's unbelievable.  It's time for me to bone up on this!

On Jul 2, 2013, at 6:07 PM, James Carlson wrote:

> Have you tried to snoop or use wireshark at all?  I'm pretty sure
> those have been mentioned as useful debugging tools, and figuring out
> what on earth you've got on your network seems to be key to solving
> these problems.

I have not tried wireshark on it yet.  If worse comes to worst, I'll try that; but the only time in the past I've used it, I didn't understand enough for it to be useful for me, so somebody else might have to help interpret it!

I don't know how to "snoop".  I'll have to look into that, too.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a Unix administrator that could be of help within a hundred miles of here -- minimum two hour drive from Denver or Colorado Springs.  We're a long ways from anything!

[]:-)

You all have a nice night!

Thank you again.

fp