[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using OI and zfs from a windows machine

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jul 3 17:07:54 UTC 2013

I haven't run OI for a good while now but am starting to need a more
serious NAT type setup.

I work with graphics and video mostly.  Nothing professional or
commercial.

I'm getting to where I need to get some of the data off my working
machine into a (handy to access NAS).

When I did run OI, I had recurring problems with various permissions
type problems when accessing the zfs server from windows.

Using this command solved most of them:
/bin/chmod -R A=everyone@:full_set:fd:allow /fs

On the filesytems used by windows...

But here is what I didn't resolve.

Working from windows across a gigabit network on a zfs server.  Didn't
seem to work well... I'm talking about running adobe tools on files
from windows when the files are on a zfs server across the network.

The problems I remember best were sloth and freezups on the windows
machine.

So, all I really want to know right now is if that should be entirely
possible .. and if there are users here who do that daily that can
vouch for it.

Not concerned with how to do it yet since I have nothing setup to talk
about. Or experiment on.

Or maybe gigabit just isn't a big enough pipe for heavy graphics work?