[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 crashing when trying to import ZFS pool

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jul 9 14:53:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-09 16:18, CJ Keist wrote:
> Jim,
>     Yes, the MegaRaid 92608i is presenting the OS with a single disk
> pool.  I had to stop the scrub as it was going to take over three days
> to complete. I figured I could be well into me restores from backup in
> that amount of time.

I wanted to suggest that if you restore (wow, good to have backups
at this size-scale!) - you should also benefit from recreating the
pool with ZFS over native disks, excluding the HWRAID from equation.
But Bryan said that first ;)

>     I'm not finding the core dump file anywhere. Where does OI store
> kernel crash data?  If it's not too big I could send it in to the list?

If you did a hard reset, it is unlikely that any kernel crash data
was created at all (there may be FMA and other logs, usually in /var/*
on the rpool, up till the point-in-time that the system froze).

Now, if there are kernel-panics, on a non-LiveCD installation, such
as when you tried to import the pool and it panicked, the system
should handle it by writing into (by default) the rpool/dump volume.
Then after boot, via SMF or manually, the "savecore" command runs to
convert this raw data into files (/var/crash/*) that can be inspected
by the mdb debugger.

Some further details here:
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/How+To+Report+Problems
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/System+Hangs

This should get you started, unless it is already too late ;)

//Jim