[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 crashing when trying to import ZFS pool

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 15:54:10 UTC 2013

On 09/07/2013 15:18, CJ Keist wrote:
>    I'm not finding the core dump file anywhere. Where does OI store
> kernel crash data?  If it's not too big I could send it in to the list?

Probably because the fault occurred in the ZFS module the OS can't do a
core dump into the ZFS dump volume. You can get around this by using a
physical partition or disk for the dump device. The simplest solution is
to just stick an extra HDD in the box, run
dumpadm -d /dev/dsk/HDD_device_node and then try to import the pool.
After this the HDD should contain the dump file which you can salvage
using savecore. For me, I do development of ZFS itself, so I get quite a
few ZFS-related crashes, so I've set up my L2ARC device with two
partitions - one used in the pool for L2ARC, the other dedicated to dump
(obviously this only makes sense for development and not for production).

Cheers,
--
Saso