[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed Jul 10 13:04:25 UTC 2013

On 07/10/13 07:57, Daniel Kjar wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to get CIFS working to share a home drive to a windows 8
> machine.  The pool already exists and I don't use auto_home.
>
> I tried just zfs set sharesmb=on home and that made it discoverable but
> when i try to log in I get authentication denied.
>
> I looked at the instructions online and saw all kinds of stuff that I am
> not sure if I really need to do. Most of the instructions I find are
> either oracle telling me to make a pool from scratch or samba specific.
> Do I need to do that or can I use the existing pool?

You should be able to use the existing file system.  There are some
issues with respect to the expected case matching rules for CIFS, but as
long as you don't play games by creating files that differ only in
alphabetic case, you should be fine.

The short answer is that you need this in /etc/pam.conf:

other   password required       pam_smb_passwd.so.1     nowarn

and you then need to change the password for each user who will use the
CIFS shares.  You can "change" it to the same password as it is now.
The important part is that the change process itself will cache
information that CIFS needs in order to do authentication.

The above is a one-time issue on a system.  Once you do it, it's set.

I suspect that you've already solved this part, but another one-time
issue is enabling the smb server.  "svcadm enable -r smb/server" should
do the job.  You may want to join a workgroup with "smbadm join -w
workgroupname".

I know that others here have said dreadful things about the CIFS server,
but I can't say I've understood the fuss.  :-/