[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed Jul 10 14:05:52 UTC 2013

On 07/10/13 09:55, Daniel Kjar wrote:
> Interesting.  I tried that pam.conf line and it created havoc.  I had
> this infinite loop with a dlopen didn't open that locked me out.  Had to
> go in with a recovery disk.  this is a stock a7 install.

At a guess, you don't have all of the CIFS packages installed.  But I
don't know what you were missing or how it related to the problem.

If you don't have that line in pam.conf, then CIFS authentication just
won't work.  It's required.

I know that at one point one of the CIFS packages was missing a
dependency, and I suppose you might have gotten bit by that.  I thought
it was fixed somewhat recently.  From long experience with Solaris, I've
been conditioned to install "everything," so I never really notice
problems like that.

> I guess I don't understand why the existing permissions don't work for
> CIFS.  so something other than
> drwx------   81 dsk      trouble   211 2013-06-27 10:11 dsk is required?

I haven't tried anything like that.  Mine are set up as mode 755.

Of course, I wouldn't expect that directory permissions on the share
have anything to do with authentication.