[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Thu Jul 11 14:08:42 UTC 2013

On 10/07/13 15:04, James Carlson wrote:
> I know that others here have said dreadful things about the CIFS server,
> but I can't say I've understood the fuss.  :-/

My experience with it for a very simple set up has been less than
stellar. But also, I was using it on S11, which has it still evolving,
and a good part of the issues (not all) were from that evolution and the
ever changing syntax.

But seriously, even if it worked perfectly, how useful is it to spend
Illumos/OI resources on that? What does IPS do that Samba cannot? Is it
worth continuing it without the access that Oracle has to MS
documentation and their resources?
Why not join forces with Samba and focus on enhancing that experience
rather than have a 3rd tool, less popular than Samba and less supported
than Solaris CIFS?

Laurent